Why We Have Low Staff Turnover in Our Columbian Hammock Factory
We have some staff that has worked in the hammock factory for 25 years. We seldom need to find new craftsmen as replacements. Since our hammocks and hanging chairs are hand-fashioned, we treasure our craftsmen and our quality control staff.
We take our mission to treat our staff as valued employees very seriously. Many of them expansively refer to good working conditions as a reason they continue to work for us. We marvel at the advantages this commitment delivers to our customers.
Why Factory Staff Turnover Is Low
We believe that our low turnover is not a function of luck, but results from our consistent treatment of our staff as “quality” craftsmen, whether they are male or female. Our hand fashioners areas dedicated to producing quality hammocks and hanging chairs as our supervisors.
In the words of Marta, our Production Manager, “. . . I check the processes to make sure that every hammock is made very well.” She has worked at our factory for over 13 years. “The majority of the people who are here have worked here for a long time.” Why?
- They like working for us.
- “The owners treat us very well.”
- Each craftsman “does his or her very best at our task.”
- We want all our customers to “be satisfied” with our quality hammocks.
- “. . . one of the things that have made us stay here so long is that we love this company. . .”
- Unlike some Asian factories, “. . . we always try to keep it (factory) really clean, so the products will be very good.”
- When working with fabrics, there will always be “fluff,” but there isn’t much here because the staff always keeps it clean.
- Craftsmen take pride in carefully stitching the ends of hammocks and hanging chairs by folding the ends over and reinforcing our products for durability.
- The staff takes equal pride in handmaking the superior sturdy ropes that keep our handcrafted hammocks and our customers out of “harm’s way.”
- When you order a high-quality colorful hammock from Hammock Heaven, the craftsman who builds it for you probably has years of experience creating quality hammocks.
Our low turnover proves the theory that employers who treat their staff respectfully, fairly, and generate pride in workmanship, create an effective team who do their best to excel. In the 21st century, it can be challenging to find, train, and retain high-quality employees.
However, treating them well is a rewarding approach, particularly when giving them the responsibility to create handmade products. Studies have proven that people work for companies where they are appreciated for their expertise, not only for the highest wages. Our staff consistently builds high-quality hammocks and hanging chairs – and is very proud of their company.